- Santa Clara University Law School
Magna cum laude
- University of San Diego
Magna cum laude
Steve is a shareholder in the firm’s Business Group. His practice focuses on applying practical and creative legal solutions to sophisticated business transactions. He counsels numerous privately-held corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships, and their owners on the legal challenges faced in the formation, operation and growth of their business entities. He has been lead counsel in structuring and negotiating numerous merger and acquisition transactions, both on the acquiror and seller sides. Steve’s strong background in income tax and employee benefits (including ESOPs and other qualified and nonqualified deferred compensation plans) are of special value when advising clients.
Steve works with clients from diverse industries including Silicon Valley technology companies, and less high-tech businesses including those in the logistics, television, agricultural, food service and construction industries.
Steve regularly appears before professional and civic organizations as a speaker on transactional business, income tax and employee benefits topics
- Lead counsel for founders and their privately-held company in negotiation of technology transfer and development agreements with Applied Materials for ion implant technology.
- Represented privately held swimming pool and spa control automation systems business in its acquisition by Pac-Fab, Inc. a publicly-held corporation.
- Lead counsel for air cargo handling services company in its successful stock sale to Menzies Aviation, plc, a publicly-held U.K. company and its U.S. subsidiary, Menzies Aviation, Inc.
- Lead counsel for airport-to-airport expedited freight network operator in its sale for cash and stock to publicly-traded Kitty Hawk, Inc.
- Counsel for acquiror in merger of large regional property and casualty insurance brokerage and merger of their respective employee stock ownership plans.
- Counsel for majority shareholders of real estate management and holding company in short form merger facilitating the acquisition of minority shareholders’ interests and the company’s S election to avoid built-in gains tax.
- General outside counsel for San Francisco Bay Area based television station.