PRACTICESTrusts & Estates
Trusts & Estates Litigation
Trust and Estate Administration
Foundational Estate Planning
- University of San Diego, School of Law, J.D.
- University of California, San Diego, B.A. (Philosophy)
Tel: (650) 327-4200V-Card
Richard is a shareholder in the firm’s Trusts and Estates Group and focuses his practice on estate and trust planning, implementation, administration, and litigation, as well as estate and gift tax counseling.He is certified as a specialist in his field by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization and is a former member of the Executive Committee of the Trusts and Estates Section of the State Bar of California.
- In his practice, Richard assists high-net-worth clients in transferring significant wealth using asset-fractionalization techniques as well as a combination of entities, such as grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs), qualified personal residence trusts (QPRTs), irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs), intentionally defective grantor trusts (IDGTs), other irrevocable grantor trusts, limited partnerships, and limited liability companies.
- Richard serves as the primary legal counsel for hundreds of individuals, couples, and blended families concerning their wealth-transfer strategies as well as their related intra-family relationships, tax, control, asset protection, and beneficiary-inheritance issues.
- Applying federal and estate tax law principles, Richard has practically and effectively litigated and/or settled and resolved multiple trusts and estates disputes on terms that are beneficial to his clients. Richard has also served as an advisor and as a co-mediator providing trust and estate expertise in marital dissolution proceedings.
- San Jose Chamber Music Society – Former Member, Board of Directors
- City Lights Theater Company, San Jose – Former Member, Board of Directors
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Speaker, Tools of the Trade: Sophisticated Techniques in Estate Planning and Administration March 18, 2011 – Bar Association of San Francisco (CEB)
- Will You Give Me Some Boilerplate with That? – CEB (CLE) March 2010
- No Contest Clauses: California’s Reform Legislation – CEB (CLE) March 2009