Lawrence A. Klein – Senior Counsel
Larry joined the firm in 2010 as Senior Counsel after practicing as a named shareholder with the Palo Alto firm of Ritchey Fisher Whitman & Klein from 1967 to 2005 when his firm merged with the national law firm of Dorsey & Whitney LLP. He was of counsel to Dorsey from 2005 to 2009. During the start of his legal career, Larry specialized in taxation. His practice focus areas have expanded to also include handling corporate, estate planning and trust administration matters. He has represented a number of technology start-up companies from formation through financing and operations to merger and acquisition transactions, including sales of such companies to larger companies. Larry has provided income tax advice to corporations and individuals, and has handled tax litigation matters before the Internal Revenue Service and the State of California for entities as well as for individuals. He has counseled clients-many of them associated with Stanford University-with respect to their estate planning and administered decedents' trusts and estates.
- General counsel to a Palo Alto software start-up including the negotiation and drafting of license agreements including several with international entities. Advised on the structure for the sale of the company and negotiated the transaction pursuant to which the founders netted approximately $40 million dollars (2008).
- Represented a semiconductor company in various domestic and international transactions and the ultimate sale to Fortune 500 company (2005).
- Advised a departing employee of a pre-IPO company as to additional option entitlement, engaged in contentious negotiations with company counsel, and succeeded in obtaining a substantial increase in client's options which were worth approximately $15 million on subsequent IPO ( 2004).
- Representation of angel investor in connection with the negotiation and documentation of seed and other early stage investments in multiple start-up companies ( 2003 to date).
- Successfully counseled and represented client before IRS with respect to valuation of deceased spouse's rights in intellectual property developed and owned by client ( 2006).
- Harvard Law School
Magna Cum Laude
- Cornell University
- Palo Alto City Council - Member, 1981-1989
- Mayor of Palo Alto - 1984 and 1989
- Palo Alto City Council - Member, 2005 to date
- Mayor of Palo Alto - 2008
- Palo Alto Centennial - Chair and CEO, 1994
- Palo Alto Citizen of the Year (Tall Tree Award) - 1994
- Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District - Co-founder, 1972
- Avenidas - former member and chair of the board
- Palo Alto Community Foundation - former member of the board
- Palo Alto Community Child Care - former member of the board
- Palo Alto Recreation Foundation - former member of the board
- Teach for America (Bay Area Branch) - former member of the board
- Bay Area Branch - former member of the board