Rising Stars 2011-2013
Andrew P. Holland – SHAREHOLDER
Andrew is a shareholder in the firm’s Litigation Group. He specializes in complex commercial litigation and intellectual property disputes.
Andrew has performed extensive work in breach of contract matters, partnership and corporate issues, and licensor-licensee disputes. He has successfully represented his clients’ interests in federal and state courts and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings, including binding and non-binding arbitration and mediation.
In the intellectual property field, Andrew focuses his practice on copyright, trademark, trade secret and unfair competition cases.
He also counsels clients on the selection, use, and protection of trademarks, including prosecuting and maintaining domestic and foreign trademark registrations and representing clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Acted as lead defense counsel in a binding arbitration involving a seven figure breach of contract claim against an industrial launderer and successfully defeated all claims. Recovered attorneys’ fees and costs as the prevailing party.
- Represented an individual in a multi-million dollar breach of contract and fraud action brought by a publicly traded company in connection with the acquisition of our client’s privately-held company. Successfully defeated a motion for summary judgment and obtained a favorable settlement during trial.
- Defended the representatives of an estate in a contract dispute against a creditor, and successfully obtained a dismissal after the court sustained our demurrer without leave to amend.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Represented the nation’s largest independent provider of legal support services and document outsourcing in a trade secret and employee raiding case and obtained a stipulated preliminary injunction precluding the disclosure of our client’s confidential information or hiring of its employees.
- Represented a national discovery and litigation support services company in the defense of a trade secret and unfair competition case. Defeated plaintiff's application for a temporary restraining order and then obtained a complete dismissal of all claims.
- Represented a corporation accused of committing fraud and breaching a settlement agreement by misappropriating plaintiff’s trade secrets and infringing his issued patents. Won summary judgment on all of plaintiff’s claims.
- Represented a company that provides on-line books and tests, in defense of trademark infringement and unfair competition claims, and successfully negotiated a favorable settlement that resulted in a dismissal of all claims.
- Represented the sole shareholder and President of multiple high-technology companies in defense of trademark and copyright infringement claims brought by a publicly traded company, with damages alleged to be in excess of $100 million. Obtained a favorable settlement that resulted in a dismissal of all claims.
- Prosecuted a misappropriation of trade secrets claim against a former employee and a corporation that is a competitor of our client, a supplier of printed circuit boards. Obtained a temporary restraining order prohibiting defendants from soliciting business from plaintiff’s customers. The case settled shortly after the temporary restraining order was issued with plaintiff obtaining a permanent injunction and a monetary payment.
Articles & Publications
- Updates in Trade Secret Related Cases
by Andrew Holland
- Santa Clara School of Law
- Santa Clara University
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- The San Francisco Bay Area Intellectual Property Inn of Court - Member